- When Mrs. Ginny first told us that we would be creating a Twitter account I was so confused and wasn't sure how I could ever use Twitter in an educational way/setting. However, now that I have been using it more and following people with interesting opinions and point of views. The people I've been interacting with are all involved in education somehow. For example, I follow Eric Sheninger who is a former award winning principal of New Milford High School, and BBC Education to keep up on the latest news! I have found it beneficial because being able to read someone else's point of view on some controversial topics such a teachers autonomy and standardized testing. If more and more teachers start using Twitter, we could follow and get to know teachers of the same grade and classes from all across the country or even the world, so we can compare lesson plans, ask for advice when needed, and even share methods of teaching.
- The digital divide affects students success in schools because in todays world technology is a huge part of our every day life and while a lot of people these days do have access to computers and internet not EVERYONE does. So for example, if students are doing an assignment in the computer labs and the teacher tells them to finish it at home. The request doesn't seem too demanding assuming that every student does have access to a computer and internet. But, it is very possible that a few students don't have access to it at home this could effect their grades, and understanding of material, setting them back behind their peers. Students without computer or internet access might also be too shy or embarrassed to tell their teachers, putting them get even more behind, because if the teacher it is not possible for them to help out. When I become a teacher I will do my best be very aware of what resources students do have at home, and to build a relationship with parents to that if there is a lack of resources they let me know. I also, will make sure that all work on computers is done during the day at school so students who might not have computer access don't have to worry about begging their parents to take them to the library. The need to learn and be comfortable with using technology becomes greater and greater everyday, so as a teacher I plan on doing fun interactive activities with students to help them learn how to use a computer and other technologies.
- Student software that I expect to use the most as a third grade teacher is reference software. As a resource for both my students and I, we might need information that can only be found available online. Instead of having to pull out a huge dictionary or encyclopedia, students can simply type in whatever they need information on and have a surplus of information. Reference software is especially helpful at this grade level because they are learning so much at the same time so it is good to have as a back up for any questions they need answered. The student software that I do not see myself using much is animation and 3D programs. I find that if you incorporate too much unneeded technology that it might distract students more than help them learn. I do not see how computer-generated imagery or graphic interchange format could help me improve my teaching skills enough to risk the fact that technology is not always as reliable as we wish it was. I myself, have witnessed teachers experience a lot of technical difficulties, making it impossible for the lesson to go as planned. However, I do believe that if I was a teacher of a higher grade level and was zeroed in on one specific subject matter that I could get more use out of animation and 3D programs. The textbook uses the example of using animation to visualize how a space ship would land once it reaches a planet in an astrophysics class.
Saturday, September 30, 2017
Blog Journal 4
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment